If you're looking for a recipe your whole family will love, this Lemon Lime Cilantro Cast Iron Chicken is it. Made with thighs that turn out juicy inside with a hint of crispness on the outside, everyone will want the recipe for this one!
This cast iron chicken thighs recipe is easy enough for a weeknight family dinner but elegant enough for company. I use my cast iron a lot! If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, you'll find a lot to choose from, but you'll want to choose wisely.
My favorite brand is Lodge. It's not expensive and it will last you for many years. This Lodge skillet comes with a lid and a heat resistant holder. You can use this skillet on the stove, in the oven, or even on the grill.
Making everything in one pan is a great way to get dinner on the table easily. This delicious recipe will be one you'll want to make over and over again.
How to Make this Chicken
Gather your ingredients from the list on the recipe card below. Keep in mind that the more you chop the cilantro, the less flavor it will have! I learned this lesson while in Mexico making this seafood salad recipe. Chop well one time.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix chicken seasoning mix spices in a bowl.
Use paper towels to pat the thighs dry. With the seasoning mix, rub each thigh back and front as well as under the skin. Getting the rub under the skin is the key to flavor and juiciness. Set the thighs aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Pour 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in your cast iron skillet to heat. Add the thighs to the skillet and brown on both sides.
Remove the thighs from the skillet and set aside briefly.
Next, lower the heat while slowly adding the white wine. Cook to reduce the wine. Add the broth, bringing the liquid to a simmer. Add the lime juice and garlic. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the cilantro.
Increase temp to a high simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
Cover the skillet and put in a 375 ° oven for 45 minutes.
Uncover for 5-10 minutes to crisp chicken.
Take out of the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Add cilantro and lemon to garnish the chicken.
What Could I Serve with this Chicken Recipe?
Spaghetti Squash would make a delicious side with this cast iron chicken. If you've never made it, learn how to cook spaghetti squash, and it will be your new favorite side dish.
These Cheddar Bay biscuits would pair perfectly with this meal, too.
More Lemon Recipes
Looking for more recipes with lemon? This Lemon and Herb Shrimp is a really popular recipe on my site, and it's low in points for the Weight Watchers plan. If you're having a cookout or picnic, you'll want to serve this Triple Berry Lemonade. For dessert, you'll love these Lemon Cupcakes or this Lemon Poke Cake with Blueberries.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken is such a versatile base for meals, so you'll find a lot of chicken dinner recipes on this site. A handful of my favorites are this Cast Iron Chicken (it makes a pretty presentation for guests!) and this Baked Hawaiian Chicken is so good!
If you're watching your weight, you're sure to find some new favorites on this list of Chicken Weight Watchers recipes.
FOLLOW FOOD, FUN & FARAWAY PLACES EVERYWHERE!
Lemon Lime Cilantro Cast Iron Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on (room temp)
- Olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 C white wine
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped with stems removed
- Chicken seasoning mix below
- Chicken Seasoning mix:
- 1 TBSP Red Mash Sea Salt Use any peppery sea salt, or regular for no spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix spices in a bowl.
- Use paper towels to pat the thighs dry.
- With the seasoning mix, rub each thigh back and front as well as under the skin.
- Set the thighs aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a cast iron skillet to heat.
- Add the thighs to the skillet browning on both sides.
- Remove the thighs from the skillet and set aside briefly.
- Next lower the heat while slowly adding white wine.
- Cook to reduce the wine. Add the broth.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer next add the lime juice and garlic.
- Return the chicken to the skillet; adding the cilantro.
- Increase temp to a high-simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
- Cover the skillet and put in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover for 5-10 minutes to crisp chicken.
- Take out of the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add cilantro and lemon to garnish the chicken.