This Kale Caesar Salad is so delicious and fits the original Daniel Fast. You may like this salad more than the original recipe for Caesar salad, and it's definitely a healthier version!
What Do I Need to Make Kale Caesar Salad?
A lot of these ingredients are probably in your pantry or fridge. Salt, pepper, garlic, grainy mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and lemons are staples in my house!
What you might not have, or even have heard of, is Umeboshi Pickled Plum Paste. This paste of fermented Japanese ume plums has been said to be one of the ancient superfoods that can transform your health.
This plum paste brings a salty flavor to the recipe. You can replace it with capers, but you really should try it. Those who won't be without the paste say they use it in place of parmesan cheese, anchovies, and miso.
You'll find all the ingredients for the salad and dressing below. I tend to use lemons in just about everything I possibly can. My all-time favorite salad recipe is Kale Caesar Salad because the Caesar Dressing I make calls for half a lemon - but I love the tart freshness of lemon zest.
How to Make the Salad
Gently wash all the salad ingredients.
Cut the tomatoes, peppers, and onions, and tear apart the kale.
Combine the dressing ingredients and stir well. Be sure to refrigerate leftover dressing.
Add dressing to salad and combine well. Top with soy cheese and pepitas.
This salad serves two.
How Long Does This Kale Caesar Salad Last
The salad dressing will last for 5 days in the refrigerator. Kale and peppers last for 5-7 days in the refrigerator, and onions last longer, unrefrigerated. You may need to buy more tomatoes, depending on how ripe they were when purchased.
If you plan to have this a few times, double the batch of salad dressing. This would make a delicious salad in a jar to take to work. Just remember to put the dressing in the bottom of a mason jar, and layer the ingredients from the bottom, hard to soft on top.
More Daniel Fast Recipes
Looking for more Daniel Fast Recipes? Check out this roundup of Daniel Fast Lunch and Dinner recipes. You may also find something you like on this list of Breakfast recipes. My favorite is this easy muffin recipe.
Below is a printable recipe for the Daniel Fast Kale Caesar Salad you can take to the store.
Kale Caesar Salad with Chickpeas
For the Salad Dressing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon Umeboshi paste
- 1 TBS dijon or grainy mustard
- 1 TBS vegan mayo
- juice of ½ lemon
- zest of ¼ lemon
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce optional
For the Salad
- 1 bunch Organic Kale rinsed, dried and torn into bite sized pieces
- 4 sweet baby peppers red, orange or yellow or 1 regular sized pepper - chopped
- ¼ red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed well and patted dry
- ⅛ cup soy parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ cup pepitas roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 large ripe tomato - sliced and chopped
- Make dressing, whisking all ingredients together until creamy. Refrigerate. (will keep refrigerated up to 5 days)
- Combine salad ingredients, add dressing, toss to coat and serve.
- Gently wash all the salad ingredients.
- Cut the tomatoes, peppers, and onions, and tear apart the kale.
- Add chickpeas and gently mix.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and stir well. Be sure to refrigerate leftover dressing.
- Add dressing to salad and combine well. Top with soy cheese and pepitas.
More Daniel Fast Recipes
Like our content? Follow us on Pinterest!