If you haven't had this Chocolate Rum Cake recipe, you're in for a serious treat! This rich and delicious dessert is perfect for any occasion.
I went to Jamaica a couple of years ago and stayed at a Montego Bay Resort. I had so much fun and the food was amazing! The key to this dessert is rum, and we chose rum from Jamaica for a special treat.
This chocolate rum cake is always the first dessert to be eaten up, and this one is such a crowd-pleaser. And who doesn't love bacon and chocolate? It's such a delicious combination and takes this cake to a whole new level!
A very important part of this Jamaican Rum Cake is, of course, the rum. I know what you're thinking. You have a bottle of rum in your pantry and you want to know...
Do I have to use Jamaican rum to make this cake?
If you absolutely can't find Jamaican rum, use whatever rum you can find. BUT, it won't be Jamaican Rum cake without Jamaican Rum! You should easily be able to find Jamaican rum at your local liquor store. You can buy Jamaican rum as white rum or dark rum.
There are many brands you can find in the US now, such as Appleton Estate, Hamilton, and Smith & Cross - all probably available at your local Total Wine store. If you haven't been to Total Wine, it's like a toy store for those of us who imbibe.
I love just browsing to find cocktail ingredients I've discovered while traveling, like this Sunset Martini I found while in Cabo. Oh. My. Word. You've got to try it. Do it for the beta carotene. But back to the cake...
What You Need
To make this cake, you will need a box of chocolate cake mix, instant chocolate pudding, eggs, vegetable oil, rum (Jamaican is best!), crispy bacon, and both chocolate as well as peanut butter chips, and a little water. This cake comes together so easily!
For the rum glaze, you'll need unsalted butter, powdered sugar, and rum, along with a little water. After you've glazed the cake, you'll garnish it with bacon, and both chocolate and peanut butter chips.
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325º F (165 degrees C).
Grease one 10 inch Bundt cake pan or use cooking spray.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, half cup of water, and a half cup rum on high speed for 2 minutes.
Add 1 cup of bacon, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and a half cup of peanut butter chips, and stir to combine. You don't want to puree the bacon, so even using the mixer on low speed isn't a good idea. It's better to just stir with a spoon. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
Bake at 325 degreesº for 50-60 minutes.
Let cake stand for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a serving dish. Poke the cake all over with a toothpick.
Make the glaze by combining the butter, sugar, rum, and water.
Mix until well combined. If icing is too thin, beat in ¼ C of powdered sugar until icing pours like lava. Pour rum glaze over cake and garnish with crisp bacon and chocolate chips. If you can wait, wrap the cake with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight so it can really soak up the rum. SO good!
You can absolutely freeze this cake. That means you can make one for now and one for later! Just sayin'! Don't add the glaze until you've thawed the cake to room temperature.
You are going to love this boozy dessert! Take it to a party and you're guaranteed an invitation back! Just remember this is an adult-only dessert!
Chocolate Jamaican Rum Cake
- 1 15.25- oz box Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Premium Cake Mix
- 1 3.9- oz box Instant Chocolate Pudding mix
- 4 Eggs room temp
- ½ C Water
- ½ C Vegetable oil
- ½ C Jamaican Rum
- 1 C crisp cooked Bacon chopped
- 1 C Chocolate chips
- ½ C Peanut butter chips
- ½ C unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 C powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ C Jamaican Rum
- ¼ C water
- ½ C cooked bacon chopped
- ½ C chocolate chips
- ½ C peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 325º F (165 degrees C).
- Grease one 10 inch Bundt cake pan or use cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, and rum on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of bacon, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and a half cup of peanut butter chips, and stir to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degreesº for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cake stand for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a serving dish. Poke the cake all over with a toothpick.
- Make the glaze by combining butter, sugar, rum, and water.
- Mix until well combined. If icing is to thin, beat in ¼ C of powdered sugar until icing pours like lava.
- Pour rum glaze over cake and garnish with crisp bacon and chocolate chips. If you can wait, wrap the cake with plastic wrap and let it set overnight so it can really soak up the rum. SO good!
Other Rum Cakes You Might Want to Check out
In case you haven't visited Recipe Lion before, you'll find all kinds of delicious recipes there, from dinners to desserts. Looking for a dinner recipe for tonight? Let me help!
My Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash is easy and so good! The search feature makes it easy to find what you're looking for, and there are thousands of recipes to choose from. Let me know what you find!
By the way, if you're watching your weight, these Weight Watchers chocolate desserts have a lot to choose from, too.
Last paragraph add some links of mine