Do I have to use Jamaican rum to make this cake?
If you absolutely can't find Jamaican rum, use whatever rum you can find. BUT, it won't be Jamaican Rum cake without Jamaican Rum! You should easily be able to find Jamaican rum at your local liquor store.
There are many brands you can find in the US now, such as Appleton Estate, Hamilton, and Smith & Cross - all probably available at your local Total Wine store. If you haven't been to Total Wine, it's like a toy store for those of us who imbibe.
I love just browsing to find cocktail ingredients I've discovered while traveling, like this Sunset Martini I found while in Cabo. Oh. My. Word. You've got to try it. Do it for the beta carotene. But back to the cake...
What You Need for Chocolate Jamaican Rum Cake
How to Make Jamaican Rum Cake
Can I Freeze Jamaican Rum Cake?
- 1 15.25-oz box Chocolate Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 3.9-oz box Instant Chocolate Pudding mix
- 4 Eggs room temp
- 1/2 C Water
- 1/2 C Vegetable oil
- 1/2 C Jamaican Rum
- 1 C crisp cooked Bacon, chopped
- 1 C Chocolate chips
- 1/2 C Peanut butter chips
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 C powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 C Jamaican Rum
- 1/4 C water
- 1/2 C cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 1/2 C peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 325º F (165 degrees C).
- Grease one 10 inch Bundt cake pan or use cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, and rum on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of bacon, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and a half cup of peanut butter chips, and stir to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degreesº for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cake stand for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a serving dish. Poke the cake all over with a toothpick.
- Make the glaze by combining butter, sugar, rum, and water.
- Mix until well combined. If icing is to thin, beat in 1/4 C of powdered sugar until icing pours like lava.
- Pour rum glaze over cake and garnish with crisp bacon and chocolate chips. If you can wait, wrap the cake with plastic wrap and let it set overnight so it can really soak up the rum. SO good!
For adults only!
Other Rum Cakes You Might Want to Check out
In case you haven't visited Recipe Lion before, you'll find all kinds of delicious recipes there, from dinners to desserts. Looking for a dinner recipe for tonight? Let me help!
My Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash is easy and so good! The search feature makes it easy to find what you're looking for, and there are thousands of recipes to choose from. Let me know what you find!
By the way, if you're watching your weight, these Weight Watchers chocolate desserts have a lot to choose from, too.