You'll love this recipe for Broiled Bacon Wrapped Scallops. The flavor of the scallops paired with smoky bacon is heavenly. I make this for parties and they are gone in no time.
🖤 Why We Love this Recipe
Tender sea scallops paired with salty bacon are a heavenly match. Double the batch and take this easy recipe to a dinner party and you will be the rock star guest!
This classic hors d'oeuvre recipe of scallops wrapped in crispy bacon is so easy and so yummy, and the Sriracha dipping sauce is the bomb!
You will want to bookmark this to use the sauce for other recipes that could use a dip with a burst of flavor!
You'll need fresh scallops, thin-cut bacon, salt, and black pepper to make the scallops.
For the dipping sauce, you'll need mayonnaise, Sriracha, garlic, and lemon zest. You'll also need wooden skewers.
Note: We used Sea Scallops, not bay scallops, which are much smaller scallops. If your grocery store doesn't have fresh raw scallops, frozen scallops will work. Let the scallops thaw in the refrigerator.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Note: It's best to leave the bacon in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. It will make it easier to work with.
Step 1: Soak wooden skewers while you are preparing the dip and drying scallops.
Step 2: For best results, place scallops on several paper towels to get them dry. This is the best way to make perfect scallops as wet scallops will not get crispy.
While they are draining on the paper towels, make the delicious dipping sauce. See the recipe below.
Step 3: Preheat your oven broiler.
Step 4: Spray a rimmed sheet pan with nonstick spray.
Step 5: Slice each strip of bacon in half crosswise.
Step 6: Wrap the dry scallops, one at a time, with a slice of bacon.
Step 7: Attach 3 bacon wrapped scallops to each wooden skewer.
Step 8: Place the bacon wrapped scallops onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and season them with salt and pepper.
Step 9: Cook under the broiler for about 15 to 20 minutes, on the middle rack. Check them periodically as oven heat varies.
Step 10: Turn the scallops once halfway through at 7 to 9 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
When the scallops are done, they will go from an opaque color to white. If the scallops are opaque inside, they are not done and need to be cooked longer.
Serve with dipping sauce on the side.
For a pretty presentation, serve on a bed of kale or butter lettuce.
How to Make the Dipping Sauce
Combine ¾ cup mayonnaise, 1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
Stir well and refrigerate until serving scallops.
Frequently Asked Questions
Scallops cook pretty quickly, but as these are bacon wrapped, we cooked them for about 7 minutes before turning them for another 7 minutes. You want the scallops cooked through and each piece of bacon crispy.
Cooked scallops will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. These will be just as delicious the next day!
Simply place the scallops on parchment paper or aluminum foil on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until hot.
Usually, a serving of scallops is 3-4 per person.
💭 Top Tips
It's best to leave the bacon in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. It will make it easier to work with.
Don't skip drying the scallops. They will never get crispy if they are wet going into the oven.
What to Serve with Bacon-Wrapped Scallops
These bacon-wrapped scallops would make an elegant appetizer with a glass of white wine before dinner. Take them to your next gathering!
Looking for other seafood recipes? This seafood salad recipe I learned to make in Puerto Vallarta is the bomb, y'all! You are going to love it!
You might also want to try some of these Cruise ship seafood recipes.
Like our content? Follow us on Pinterest!
More Seafood Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, please save it to Pinterest so others can try it, too! We'd also appreciate a 5-star rating if you loved these scallops!
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- Wooden skewers
Ingredients for the Scallops
- 1 ½ pounds scallops rinsed and dried
- 1 pound thin sliced bacon strips cut in half crosswise
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ T Sriracha
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T finely chopped lemon balm or lemon zest in equal amount
Make the Dipping Sauce First
- Soak wooden skewers while you are preparing the dip and drying scallops.
- Make the dipping sauce by combining mayonnaise, Sriracha, and minced garlic. Stir will and refrigerate until serving scallops.
How to Make the Scallops
- It's best to leave the bacon in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. It will make it easier to work with.
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cut bacon in half crosswise.
- Wrap each scallop with a piece of bacon.
- Attach 3 scallops to a wooden skewer.
- Place the bacon wrapped scallops onto the baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper.
- Cook them in the broiler for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn the scallops once halfway through at 7 to 9 minutes.
- Serve with the Dipping Sauce on the Side.Optional: For a nice presentation, serve the scallops plated on a bed of fresh kale leaves or butter lettuce.