Making this homemade funnel cake recipe with Bisquick is super easy. The crunchiness of the outside of these funnel cake rings dipped in the creamy caramel is to die for! And everyone loves to dip, right?
Apple recipes are always so popular in the fall, but you can make it anytime as the addition of apples are always plentiful. You will want to add this to your list of favorite recipes!
Homemade Funnel Cake Rings with Caramel Sauce
You don't have to wait for a county fair or carnival to have homemade funnel cake. It's super easy to make at home.
Won't your kids flip when you put this on the table for an afternoon treat or dessert after dinner?
Funnel Cake Main Ingredients
All you need to make the funnel cake is Bisquick, an egg, whole milk, and two apples. We used the Pink Lady variety.
For the caramel sauce, you'll need unsalted butter, dark brown sugar, heavy cream, and real vanilla extract.
How to Make Homemade Funnel Cake Rings
How to Make Caramel Sauce
Melt butter in a double boiler.
Add the brown sugar stirring for 2 minutes.
Pour in the heavy cream stirring for an additional 2 minutes.
Take off the top half of the double boiler and add the vanilla. Stir well to make sure that the vanilla is blended into the sauce.
Pour into a jar allowing to cool completely.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You could also serve with other funnel cake toppings, like powdered sugar or cinnamon.
Homemade Funnel Cake Rings
For the Funnel Cake
- 1 c Bisquick
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ C whole milk
- 2 apples pared, cored, and cut in rings ½ thick pared, cored, and cut in rings ½ thick
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 C dark brown sugar
- ⅔ C heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
How to Make Funnel Cake Rings
- Core your apples and slice into 'rings' about a ½ inch thick. You are slicing sideways, not up and down as probably typically do. You'll typically get four rings per apple.
- Fill the deep fryer or a deep pan with fresh frying oil. Turn on for it to heat.
- Add egg and whole milk in a bowl with the Bisquick. Mix all of the ingredients together with a spoon. Whisk to remove any lumps.
- Test to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping a few small drops of batter into it. After they sizzle and turn brown then your fryer is ready for the apple rings.
- Put in one apple ring at a time making sure each side is completely coated. (Our fryer will hold four rings at a time.)
- Watch carefully. When the battered apple ring begins to turn brown, flip it over to the over side with a fork. Continue to watch so they don't burn.
- Cover a baking sheet with paper towels. When both sides of the cooked apple rings are done, remove them from the deep fryer and drain on paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Allow funnel cake rings to cool enough to touch.
How To Make the Caramel Sauce
- Melt butter in a double boiler.
- Add the brown sugar stirring for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream stirring for an additional 2 minutes.
- Take off the top half of the double boiler and add the vanilla. Stir well to make sure that the vanilla is blended into the sauce.
- Pour into a jar allowing to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Check out this scrumptious Crustless Apple Pies Recipe with Ambrosia™!