This easy salsa recipe is going to be your go-to for any time you are having company or bringing an appetizer to a party. Just wait until you taste the way these flavors mingle!
If you have sailed on a Carnival ship and eaten at the Blue Iguana, you probably remember the Watermelon Jicama Salsa. It's kind of unforgettable, to the point that I had to make it as soon as I got home.
A couple of weeks ago my sister and I went on a girls getaway spending three days on the Carnival Liberty sailing to Nassau in the Bahamas. We had such a blast hanging out at the pool, spending the day on a private island in Nassau, and eating at several of the fabulous restaurants onboard the ship.
One of my favorite places to eat was the Blue Iguana. I love Mexican food, largely in part because I adore salsa. If there is a party where salsa and chips are served, you will find me hanging out near the bowl. Truth.
Now that I have this easy salsa recipe and know how truly simple it is to prepare, this will be my go-to recipe. The jicama gives the salsa a crunch that doesn't get soggy, and the watermelon gives it just the right amount of sweetness.
You will see that I did not add jalapenos as my younger daughter can't take the heat. Unless you have a family member that is opposed, I would definitely include the jalapenos.
Easy Salsa Recipe
Makes 5 cups
Easy Salsa Recipe Ingredients
4 cups red seedless watermelon cut into bite-sized pieces, about ½ inch in size
1 ½ cups jicama, diced
⅓ cup red onion, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 freshly squeezed limes (roll on counter first to soften for juicing)
Zest of 1 lime
½ teaspoon of sea salt
Optional: 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper minced
Place first 4 ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Pour lime juice over all and add lime zest.
Gently fold together being careful not to smash the watermelon. Add salt and taste to your preference.
Chill before serving. This salsa kept really well in the fridge. We had it on chicken tacos one night, and shrimp tacos the next. It would also be wonderful served with chips or as a topping for fish. The possibilities are endless!
Be sure to check out the Blue Iguana the next time you are sailing with Carnival!
Easy Salsa Recipe from Carnival Cruise Lines
- 4 cups red seedless watermelon cut into bite-sized pieces about ½ inch in size
- 1 ½ cups jicama diced
- ⅓ cup red onion minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 freshly squeezed limes roll on counter first to soften for juicing
- Zest of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Optional: 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper minced
- Place first 4 ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour lime juice over all and add lime zest.
- Gently fold together being careful not to smash the watermelon
- Add salt and taste for your preference.
- Chill before serving.
- This salsa kept really well in the fridge. We had it on chicken tacos one night, and shrimp tacos the next. It would also be wonderful served with chips or as a topping for fish. The possibilities are endless!