We love turkey pot pie. In fact, I probably make a roast chicken at least once a month, and I'll serve mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and stuffing, just like on Thanksgiving. The next day, we'll have all those yummy leftovers, and enjoy it all over again.
We can easily eat an entire roast chicken in two days, but a turkey takes a little longer, so I like to get creative.
A couple of weeks ago I made chicken pot pie, and my girls have been begging me to make it again already. Instead of a traditional pot pie, I decided to make turnovers.
I bought a turkey breast, made the pot pie sauce, added veggies that I had on hand, enclosed all that goodness inside a Pillsbury Grand Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuit, and we gobbled them up (Pun intended!) Don't let any of those leftovers go to waste!
Turkey Pot Pie Turnovers
4 cups chopped turkey
4 large red potatoes, chopped small
1 cup carrots, shredded or sliced
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
salt & pepper
2 cans Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits (grab a coupon!)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
1 Bay leaf
1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper
Melt butter in a saucepan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add flour slowly, whisking until combined, 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock, thyme and Italian seasoning. Continue whisking constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add turkey and vegetables to the pan, combining well. Cook until heated through. Let cool slightly.
Roll out biscuits to about 5 inches diameter. Add a spoonful of pot pie to the center of biscuit dough.
Fold dough over, pinching to close turnover. Use a dough crimper to make a ridge along the edge of turnover. Brush with melted butter.
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Serve warm with a side of cranberry sauce, or this delicious cranberry salsa.
Makes 16 turnovers.
Here's a printable of the recipe to make your life easier!
Turkey Pot Pie Turnovers
- 4 cups chopped turkey
- 4 large red potatoes chopped small
- 1 cup carrots shredded or sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or canned
- salt & pepper
- 2 cans Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits grab a coupon!
- Sauce Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add flour slowly, whisking until combined, 2-3 minutes
- Slowly whisk in stock, thyme and Italian seasoning
- Whisk constantly, over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add turkey and vegetables to pan, combining well.
- Cook until heated through.
- Let cool slightly.
- Roll out biscuits to about 5 inches diameter.
- Add spoonful of pot pie to center of biscuit dough.
- Fold dough over, pinching to close turnover.
- Use a dough crimper to make a ridge along edge of turnover.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with a side of cranberry sauce.
- Makes 16 turnovers.
Be sure to grab coupons before heading to the store!