This easy smores cake recipe is the perfect dessert anytime of year. Doesn't it look delicious?
We love it in the summertime after a day at the beach, but in fall this dish brings memories of roasting marshmallows over the fire. Chocolate fans will also love this Snickers Poke Cake and our Patriotic Smore's Brownies.
Can't you just taste this sweet treat? We love the rich chocolate, gooey melted marshmallows, and graham cracker crumble.
Now we have something new for you to try. Have you ever thought of making smores as a cake? It's the best way to celebrate fall!
This ultimate s'mores cake is easy to make, delicious, and doesn’t require setting up a fire to roast those marshmallows!
What makes this even better is that there’s a secret ingredient that makes it extra fluffy – pancake mix!
🖤 Why We Love this Recipe
Chocolate. Marshmallow. Cake. What’s not to love about that?
Sheet pan cakes are incredibly easy to make, and this one is no exception. Just mix the ingredients for this delicious cake, pop it in the oven, and then brown the marshmallows on top.
If you have any leftovers, it’s easy to reheat this and get back that gooey marshmallow texture. But this cake is so delicious that you may have a hard time having any cake left over!
🛒 What Goes Into This S'mores Cake
- Chocolate chips. Because the marshmallows are sweet, semisweet chocolate chips are the best ones to use here. Some will get mixed into the cake, and you’ll set aside some to garnish once the cake is done.
- Mini marshmallows. You could use large marshmallows in a pinch, but mini marshmallows provide better coverage and melt and brown more evenly.
- Pancake mix. This is the real secret to this cake. Pancake mix will make your cake have a fluffier texture, but it still holds up well to the flavors of marshmallow and chocolate.
🔪 Recommended Tools
- Baking pan
- Mixing Bowl
See recipe card for quantities and full directions.
How to Make Easy Smores Cake
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Grease a baking pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil, making sure it is well coated so the sides of the cake don't stick. You can instead line the pan with parchment paper.
Step 3: In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake batter ingredients. Note: You can either buy crushed graham crackers or stick them in the food processor to crumble them.
Step 4: Stir in the eggs and wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 5: Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 6: Add crushed graham crackers.
Step 7: Spread the batter into the sheet pan in an even layer using a spatula and drizzle with chocolate fudge.
Step 7: Bake for 16-19 minutes.
Step 8: Pull the cake out of the oven and set aside on a cooling rack temporarily.
Step 9: Set the oven to the broil low setting.
Step 10: Once the oven reaches the correct temperature, dot the top of the cake with the mini marshmallows.
Step 11: Put in the oven and broil for 6-7 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the marshmallows brown but do not burn.
Step 12: Immediately garnish the entire cake with chocolate chips so they will melt on top.
Serve warm, and store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrapped tightly with plastic wrap once they have cooled to room temperature.
There are so many variations of this cake and I'm sure you could come up with more!
Smores Pumpkin Sheet Cake. Mix in 15 ounces of pumpkin puree and a half teaspoon each of ginger, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon to the cake batter.
You’ll need to bake this for 28 minutes to make sure the cake fully sets, but otherwise the procedure to make this is the same.
Double Chocolate Smores Sheet Cake. Add cocoa powder to the batter for more chocolate flavor. Or instead of pancake mix, use a rich chocolate cake mix to take this to the next level.
For even more chocolate goodness, dust with milk chocolate or dark chocolate shavings after the marshmallows are browned. The chocolate cake layers will be separated by an ooey, gooey marshmallow filling.
Smores Cookie Cake. Mix up your favorite chocolate cookie recipe, but with only 1 cup flour and 1 cup graham cracker crumbs.
Press half of the mixture into a greased cake pan, top with marshmallow cream and chocolate chips, and cover with a top layer of the remaining cookie mixture.
Pound Cake Smores. This is a great way to have the taste of smores in minutes. Take slices of pound cake and brush with melted butter. Place on a baking sheet and top with segments of chocolate bars and a marshmallow.
Layered Smores Cake. Use the same cake batter ingredients, but divide the batter in half in a smaller baking dish. Add a layer of marshmallows and chocolate chips. Top with the rest of the cake batter, fudge, and chocolate chips, and the marshmallows after the cake has been baked.
For another gooey treat, try these peanut butter brownies!
S’mores is actually slang for “Some more”. With such delicious flavors, everyone is sure to ask for some more!
Yes, and it will even brown when placed under the broiler.
You can, and it will give that marshmallow flavor. They will melt into a thin layer instead of being browned and toasty.
You can, but it will not be as rich and creamy.
Keep an eye on the marshmallows when browning them. It is easy for them to go from lightly toasted marshmallows to burnt marshmallows very fast.
If you have a kitchen torch, you can use that to brown the marshmallows instead of putting them under the broiler.
You can make this easy smores cake recipe ahead of time, but leave the marshmallows off until you are ready to serve. The marshmallows will have the best texture when served warm.
More Delicious Recipes
Easy Smores Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a baking pan with cooking spray. Make sure it is well coated.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry cake batter ingredients except graham crackers.2 cups pancake mix, 1 cup cake flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Stir in the eggs and wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.3 eggs, 1 ½ C milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 tablespoons butter
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add crushed graham crackers.
- Spread the batter into the sheet pan in an even layer and drizzle with chocolate fudge.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes.
- Pull the cake out of the oven and set aside on a cooling rack temporarily.
- Set the oven to the Broil Low setting.
- Once the oven reaches the correct temperature, dot the top of the cake with the mini marshmallows.
- Put in the oven and broil for 6-7 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the marshmallows brown but do not burn.
- Immediately garnish the entire cake with chocolate chips so they will melt on top.
- Serve warm, and store any leftovers in an airtight container once they have cooled to room temperature.