This recipe for easy chicken tortilla soup is one of our favorites. My oldest daughter has loved chicken tortilla soup since the first time she had it out at a restaurant. She has grown to like the spice, but when she was younger, there were times she would order it and I'd have to eat it because of the spice.
The slightly spicy flavor of this recipe is perfect served with a cool scoop of sour cream. I usually leave a bowl of cilantro on the table and let everyone add their own. My husband and I like a lot, but the girls only use a pinch. One thing is for sure, if you like Mexican food, you are going to love this soup!
By the way, make it easy on a busy night and pick up a rotisserie chicken! No judging here!
What You Need
1 roasted chicken, skinned and shredded
1 32 oz chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 pkg taco seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
¼ C fresh chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1 container sour cream
1 large package of shredded Mexican cheese
1 bag tortilla chips
How to Make It
Pour chicken broth in slow cooker and turn on to medium.
Allow broth to heat.
Add garlic powder and taco seasoning, stirring to mix.
Add diced onion, corn, beans, and fire roasted tomatoes with broth. Stir.
Add shredded chicken. Stir. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Let the slow cooker work its magic for 3-4 hours.
Scoop into bowls topping with a handful of crushed tortilla chips, a tablespoon of sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.
This soup will keep for 2-3 days. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
You could serve this soup as a meal with chips and salsa. You could also serve it with a salad on the side. If you're serving it as an appetizer, it would pair well with tacos. For adults, serve this with a cold Mexican beer!
Add a little cornstarch or arrowroot powder to a half cup of broth. Stir until it's smooth and slowly add to the soup. Let soup continue to cook for 10 minutes or so and it should thicken nicely.
Recipes for Pairing!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 roasted chicken skinned and shredded
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz corn drained and rinsed
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Spanish onion peeled and finely diced
- ¼ C fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz sour cream
- 8 oz Mexican cheese shredded
- 8 oz tortilla chips
- Pour chicken broth in slow cooker and turn on to medium.
- Add garlic powder and taco seasoning, stirring to mix.
- Add diced onion, corn, beans, and fire roasted tomatoes to broth. Stir well.
- Add shredded chicken. Stir.
- Let cook for 3-4 hours.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls topping with a handful of crushed tortilla chips, a tablespoon of sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.