These delicious Sweet Potato Bites are the ultimate sweet and savory appetizer for this holiday season.
With this recipe, roasted sweet potato rounds create the perfect cradle for a goat cheese, cranberry sauce and walnut topping that your guests are absolutely going to love!
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. From savory Sweet Potato Fries to this healthy Sweet Potato Soup to tasty Sweet Potato Muffins, the taste and versatility of sweet potatoes make them a staple in my kitchen.
Since the holidays are a great time to try out new recipes for delicious appetizers, like these creamy Stuffed Mushrooms and this gooey Maryland Crab Dip, I am really excited to share with you this delicious sweet potato appetizer!
They are guaranteed to be a huge hit for Thanksgiving, Christmas or truly any time of the year.
With just a few simple ingredients, you will be serving your family and friends an appetizer that has a real wow factor! Not only does this sweet potato bites recipe taste incredible but it also makes a gorgeous presentation!
With beautiful, crimson red cranberry sauce and white goat cheese sitting on top of golden sweet potato rounds, this festive appetizer is the epitome of all things holiday.
And if you're looking for a special dessert to serve at the end of your gathering, this Baked Alaska is perfect!
🖤 Why We Love this Recipe
Even though this is a super impressive looking appetizer and includes all the traditional holiday flavors, it's an easy recipe requiring only minutes of prep work and all simple ingredients.
What really gets this recipe rave reviews are the sweet and savory combination of flavors plus the creamy and crunchy contrast in texture. These sweet potato bites are simply the perfect appetizer.
🛒 What Goes into This Recipe
- Sweet potatoes
- Whole berry cranberry sauce
- Goat cheese
- Chopped walnuts
See recipe card for exact ingredients and quantities.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make this Recipe
Heat oven temperature to 450° F.
Step 1: Place the sliced sweet potato rounds on a parchment paper-lined 9 x 13 baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 2. Drizzle the sweet potato slices with half of the olive oil, salt, and ground black pepper.
Step 3. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Step 4. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the sweet potatoes over.
Step 5. Drizzle the remainder of the olive oil, teaspoon salt, and pepper over the sweet potatoes.
Step 6. Place the baking sheet back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the bottoms are crispy and the slices are slightly golden brown.
Step 7. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top with the cranberry sauce, goat cheese, and walnuts.
Finish them off with a drizzle of honey and garnishing with chopped rosemary.
Aren't they festive? Just wait until you bite into it! So delish!
- Goat cheese- The goat cheese used in this recipe provides a creaminess and mild flavor. But you can also use feta crumbles, cream cheese or bleu cheese if you like a little more tanginess. They all work as a perfect compliment to the sweetness in the cranberries and honey.
- Walnuts- You can swap out the walnuts with chopped almonds or pecans. For extra sweetness you can use some candied walnuts, if you have some on hand.
- Air Fryer Method: If you need your oven freed up for other dishes, you can cook the sweet potato rounds in the air fryer. Throw the rounds in a large bowl and drizzle in a little olive oil and give them a good toss. Air fry them on 390 degrees in an even layer until nice and crispy.
- Honey: The sweetness and stickiness of the honey works to tie all the other flavors together. For a great alternative, you can also use maple syrup.
- Herbs: Just a little sprinkle of rosemary gives these bites a fresh pop of flavor. Fresh thyme or a little fresh sage will also give them delicious flavor. You can even use fresh green onions if that is what you have on hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any of this sweet potato appetizer leftover it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. To store, allow them to cool to room temperature. Then just place them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Just keep in mind that the sweet potatoes will begin to soften and become soggy the longer they sit.
The crispiness of roasted sweet potato slices is what helps hold them together to support the toppings. For that reason, they are best served when they are freshly made.If you're looking for short cuts to meal prep this recipe, you can slice the sweet potatoes a day in advance and drop them in to a freezer bag and place them in the fridge until you are ready to roast them.
They certainly are! Sweet potatoes are a wonderful source of vitamin C, beta carotene and potassium. They are also a great source of fiber. For a 3.5 ounce serving, there are 1.6 g of protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber and only about 85 calories.
For more nutrition information or learn more about the health benefits associated with sweet potatoes, check out this article on Healthline.
This is more of a canape style appetizer, so cubes are not the ideal shape. If you're wanting to use cubes, instead of an appetizer you could make the perfect side dish.Just bake the cubes, then layer them in a glass dish with the toppings.
💭 Top Tip(s)
- To get the outsides nice and crispy, make sure the oven is fully preheated before roasting the sweet potatoes.
- The natural sugar in sweet potatoes will cause them to stick to the sheet pan, so always make sure you line it well with parchment paper and not aluminum foil. For extra measure you can even spritz the paper with a little cooking spray.
- Don't cut the rounds into thin slices. You want them to hold up well, so you'll want them to be about ½ inch thick.
- Make the slices in uniform thickness by using a kitchen mandolin if you have one.
- Even though there are over 10 varieties of sweet potatoes, look for long red or orange skinned sweet potatoes, also known as the "moist" variety. They are sweeter and cook up creamier than some of the other varieties.
- Leave the peeling on the potatoes. This also helps keep them together and makes them easier to handle once they are cooked.
Sweet Potato Bites
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 2 sweet potatoes (large) sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Rosemary for garnish chopped
- Place the sliced sweet potato rounds on a parchment paper-lined 9 x 13 baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle the sweet potato slices with half of the olive oil, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the sweet potatoes over.
- Drizzle the remainder of the olive oil, teaspoon salt, and pepper over the sweet potatoes.
- Place the baking sheet back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the bottoms are crispy and the slices are slightly golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top with the cranberry sauce, goat cheese, and walnuts. Finish them off with a drizzle of honey and garnishing with chopped rosemary.
- Serve immediately.