This Crispy Snickerdoodle Recipe is so easy to make. If you've never baked Snickerdoodle cookies before, this may be your new favorite recipe!
A Crispy Snickerdoodle recipe is a must have in your list of Christmas cookies, though we love them all year long! Get started on your Christmas gifts for friends and neighbors now so you won't be stressed mid-December!
Why This Recipe Works
With just 10 simple ingredients, many of which are probably in your pantry, you can have these classic Snickerdoodle cookies on the table in under 30 minutes.
When life is busy, you need cookie recipes in your arsenal that are easy and don't take forever to make.
For Valentine's Day you could use these festive heart sprinkles, which I think would be fun for a girlfriend's birthday party, too.
What You Need to Make This Recipe
If you've been baking at all recently, you'll have all the ingredients you need to make this crispy Snickerdoodle recipe!
- Flour - we're using all-purpose for these cookies.
- Sugars - both white granulated and brown sugar make a great combination.
- Cinnamon - the cinnamon-sugar topping is the key ingredient that gives these cookies that Snickerdoodle flavor!
See recipe card for additional ingredients and quantities.
How to Make this Recipe
For best results, make sure your egg and butter are room temperature before starting.
Preheat the oven to 350º and line your baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with baking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using an electric hand mixer) cream butter on medium speed until creamy.
Add the white and brown sugar to your bowl and mix well.
Mix in the vanilla extract and egg until well combined.
Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar together in a separate bowl.
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
Mix thoroughly, being sure to get all the ingredients from the bottom of the bowl combined. Set aside.
In a small bowl, prepare the cinnamon mixture that you will use to coat your cookie dough by combining the quarter cup of sugar with two teaspoons of cinnamon.
Next, using a tablespoon, scoop the cookie dough and roll dough into balls using your hands.
Roll the cookie dough balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place onto your prepared baking sheet. Repeat for 24 cookies.
Bake cookies in the oven for 12 minutes. You're looking for crispy outsides, so they should be golden brown on the bottom.
Allow the baked cookies to cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack before serving.
There are so many Snickerdoodle recipes, so you'll never tire of them!
- Pumpkin - canned pumpkin adds incredible flavor to pumpkin Snickerdoodles.
- Caramel - add a handful of caramel bits for more chewy flavor.
- Chocolate Chip- try a handful of mini chocolate chips to make a variation of America's favorite cookies.
Let me know if you have another idea!
Always remember not to scoop the flour out of the bag or container as you could very easily end up with too much flour which will give you a crumbly cookie.
If you've struggled with baking, this could be why! This could be the difference between a good Snickerdoodle cookie and one that falls apart. Add flour to the measuring cup with a spoon, leveling with a knife once it's full.
If you only have one cookie sheet, be sure to let it cool before adding the second batch to it. A warm cookie sheet may cause the cookies to spread too early.
It's said the whimsical name Snickerdoodle originated in Germany from the word Schneckennudel. This is actually what they call the cinnamon roll. We think it's probably because the flavors are similar.
The cookies will keep for 5 days or so in an airtight container. If you want to freeze them, they will keep for about 6 months.
Yes! Simply reduce the bake time, taking them out at around 10 minutes. Be sure to check them as oven temperatures vary. You're looking for a lighter color so you'll have soft cookies with chewy centers.
Looking for easy recipes and travel recommendations? Subscribe to Food, Fun & Faraway Places and never miss a thing! We have so much goodness coming up! Be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, & Twitter, too!
Crispy Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1 ½ C flour
- ½ C sugar
- ⅓ C light brown sugar
- ½ C unsalted butter room temperature, softened
- 1 egg large, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
Cinnamon mixture for cookie coating
- ¼ C sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with baking spray.
- Using a mixer and a large bowl, blend butter until creamy.
- Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar to your bowl and mix well.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and egg until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar to your bowl, mixing thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1⁄4 c sugar with 2 tsp of cinnamon and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the cookie dough and form a ball using your hands.
- Roll the ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place onto your baking sheet. Repeat until all cookies are covered.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.