When making appetizers for a party, whether you're hosting or a guest, buffalo chicken meatballs will always be a hit. The flavor of this sauce has just enough spice and the meatballs come out tender and juicy every time.
We love to serve these buffalo chicken meatballs with a few other appetizers, like these sweet potato bites, something from this list of cream cheese dip recipes, and the most popular party food I make, Maryland crab dip.
🖤 Why We Love this Recipe
Besides the great flavor, I love how easy it is to make these meatballs. I usually have everything on hand to make these except the chicken and green onions, so a quick trip to the store and this perfect appetizer can be in the oven in no time.
I actually love when friends drop in for an impromptu glass of wine, so I often have something I've made in the freezer I can just pull out and stick in the oven. We like easy around here!
🛒 What Goes Into This Recipe
Ground Chicken: We like using ground chicken for these meatballs as it's healthier than beef, but you can use either, or a combination. Pork is good, too.
Spices: The combination of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper is all you need for dry spices.
Buffalo Sauce: Choose your favorite.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make these Meatballs
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400º F and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Step 2: Add chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, egg, green onions, salt, black pepper, buffalo sauce, and bread crumbs to a large bowl.
Gently mix together until well combined.
Step 3: Using clean hands, form golf ball sized meatballs, about 1 ½ inches in diameter.
Step 4: Place meatballs on a prepared baking sheet.
Step 5: Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the meatballs with oil.
Step 6: Bake meatballs for 20 -25 minutes.
Step 7: Once you've removed meatballs from the oven, drizzle with a little sauce and stir to coat.
Optional: you could also serve a bowl of Blue cheese dressing for dipping. The two sauces are delicious together!
What to Serve with Chicken Meatballs
If you're having a cocktail party or a gathering where you're serving appetizers, we like to serve these meatballs with celery sticks and carrot sticks, just like you'd serve buffalo wings.
These meatballs are so versatile. You can create something different just by changing up the sauce.
- Mix equal parts grape jelly and chili sauce for that traditional sweet and sour cocktail meatball recipe.
- Chili sauce mixed with apricot preserves is another delicious sauce for party meatballs. Add a dash of sriracha hot sauce for a little heat.
- Hoisin sauce mixed with a little honey, soy sauce, and grated fresh ginger makes another delicious sauce your guests will love.
You can also combine ground pork and chicken instead of just chicken for a different spin on party meatballs.
Top the meatballs with green onions for a pretty garnish that adds a little extra flavor.
Be careful not to overcook these chicken buffalo meatballs as they may turn out tough if cooked too long.
A cookie scoop makes making the meatballs even easier.
If you (like me) often forget your platters when attending parties, pick up a few of these disposable party platters your host can just throw away!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cut one of the meatballs in half to make sure it isn't pink inside. This gives you the chance to taste one beforehand, too. If you don't want to cut one, meatballs should register 160º in the middle using a meat thermometer.
Store the meatballs in an airtight container for up to five days.
You can easily freeze these meatballs. If freezing before cooking, arrange in a single layer and freeze until hard. Store in a gallon baggie for up to one month. If freezing after cooked, follow same instructions but let cool before freezing. Both should be thawed overnight before cooking or reheating. Add sauce when cooking or reheating.
More Delicious Appetizers
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup chopped green onions plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce plus more for serving
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Add chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, egg, green onions, salt, black pepper, buffalo sauce, and bread crumbs to a large bowl. Gently mix together until well combined.
- Using your hands, form golf ball sized meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a prepared baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the meatballs with oil.
- Bake meatballs for 20 -25 minutes.
- Once you've removed meatballs from the oven, drizzle them with buffalo sauce and gently stir to coat them with sauce.
- Serve with small forks or toothpicks and extra sauce on the side. Optional: serve with a dish of blue cheese dressing.