With bright colors and summertime vibes, this Patriotic Jello Recipe is a must-have for a Memorial Day backyard BBQ or Fourth of July party. It’s an easy recipe that looks amazing and tastes delicious.
With layers of different flavors that blend well together, this fun recipe will be a huge smash at your next big party, along with these patriotic s'mores brownies and these red, white and blue sugar cookies.
Colorful blue and red jello and a middle layer made with sweetened condensed milk create a tasty dessert that your friends will want to show off on their social media.
Why This Recipe Works
This patriotic jello recipe includes only a few ingredients, and it is simple enough that you can make it with your kids. (Just be careful when working with hot water.)
Or, if you’re looking for a more adult twist, the jello layers can be made as jello shots with alcohol, providing a cool, boozy dessert for a summertime get-together.
No complicated kitchen tools needed here! It’s an easy no-bake dessert that everyone can enjoy.
What Goes Into This Recipe
Flavored Jello: Most jello flavors go well with each other, so you’re looking more at colors instead of flavors for this recipe. Red flavors like cherry, raspberry, black cherry, or strawberry jello work well, and for the blue gelatin layer, there’s a berry burst flavor.
Condensed Milk: The mixture of sweetened condensed milk and unflavored gelatin is what makes that creamy white layer.
Whipped Cream: A dollop of whipped cream on top, with some sprinkles for decoration, is the perfect way to top off this incredible dessert.
See recipe card for quantities and full directions.
How to Make Patriotic Jello Jars
Making the Red Layer
In a small bowl, mix together red jello and one package of unflavored gelatin. Stir in 2 cups boiling water until gelatin is fully dissolved.
Pour ⅓ cup of red jello into each half-pint jar to make the bottom layer.
Put the jars in the fridge to chill for 30-40 minutes, until the mixture sets, and begin working on the white layer.
Making the White Layer
In a separate bowl, pour in the can of sweetened condensed milk.
Add two packets of unflavored gelatin, and slowly stir in one cup of boiling water.
Continue stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
Leave out at room temperature until the red jello layer is ready.
Once the red jello is set, remove from the fridge and pour ⅓ cup of white layer mixture on top of the first layer of red jello in each jar.
Return the jars to the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes or until the white layer is set. Meanwhile, work on the next layer.
Making the Blue Layer
In a bowl, mix together blue color jello and one packet of unflavored gelatin. Stir in 2 cups boiling water until gelatin is fully dissolved.
Let cool at room temperature while the white layer sets.
Once the white layer is set, pour ⅓ cup of blue jello on top of that previous layer in the jars.
Place in the fridge and fully chill for 3 hours.
Before serving, top this patriotic jello recipe with whipped cream or Cool Whip and sprinkles, if desired.
There are so many variations of this dessert that you can do for any occasion.
For an adult treat, make the jello like you would for jello shots. Instead of using two cups of boiling water when mixing a jello layer, use one cup of boiling water, ½ cup of cold water, and ½ cup of vodka or other alcohol.
You don’t need a patriotic holiday, though. This recipe can work for any of your favorite holidays.
Use grape and lime jello and a bit of yellow food coloring on the white layer to make a festive dessert for Mardi Gras. Red and green colored layers make a fantastic version for Christmas. The only limit is your imagination!
Think beyond holidays as well – make some for game day in your favorite team’s colors! It’s a fun way to show your team spirit.
Add mix-ins, like fruit in the bottom jello layer or coconut in the middle layer, to add texture and additional flavor.
Add the whipped cream just before serving so it stays fluffy. Pro Tip: For a special Fourth of July firecracker feel, sprinkle Pop Rocks on top!
Include fruit, like fresh berries, in the bottom layer of jello for some added flavor and texture. This is a great way to make this fun dessert even more tasty, and make it a little more healthy.
If you don’t have half-pint jars, you can use a regular drinking glass. If you’re making this for a large party, you can use shot glasses to make a small tasting-size dessert. Clear containers work best so you can see the beautiful layers.
Make this with sugar-free Jello and Fat Free Whipped Cream for a perfect low calorie dessert that's even Weight Watchers friendly! (0 SmartPoints!)
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Many types of fresh fruit or canned fruits can be used in jello, however there are a few that you can’t use. Pineapple, kiwi, mango, guava, and papaya all contain enzymes that break down protein molecules. This means if you use them in jello, the jello will not set. Other than that, be as creative as you want!
Although putting jello in the freezer can help it set quicker, if you leave it in too long, the texture will end up mushy. The best bet is to avoid the risk and just chill in the fridge.
Vodka and white rum are most common, but you can use tequila, brandy, gin, or whiskey. The best bet to use that won’t change the flavor is vodka.
Patriotic Jello Recipe
- 6 half-pint jars
- 1 6- ounce package strawberry Jello
- 1 6- ounce package berry blue Jello
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 cups boiling water
- whipped cream optional
- Whisk together the strawberry Jello, one packet of unflavored gelatin, and 2 cups boiling water. Continue stirring until all the gelatin has been dissolved in the water.
- Pour ⅓ cup of the Jello mixture into each jar.
- Place the jars in the refrigerator to chill for around 40 minutes, until the mixture has begun to set and is no longer liquid.
- While the red Jello is chilling, prepare the white layer by whisking together two packets of unflavored gelatin with one cup boiling water and the sweetened condensed milk. Continue stirring until all the gelatin has been dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature to cool until the red Jello is set.
- When the red Jello is set, carefully pour ⅓ cup of the white gelatin mixture over the top of the red.
- Return the jars to the refrigerator to chill for around 20 minutes, until the white layer is set.
- While the white gelatin is setting, prepare the blue layer by whisking together the berry blue Jello, one packet of unflavored gelatin, and 2 cups boiling water. Continue stirring until all the gelatin has been dissolved in the water. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature to cool until the white gelatin is set.
- When the white gelatin is set, carefully pour ⅓ cup of the blue Jello over the top of the white layer.
- Return the jars to the refrigerator to chill for an additional 3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired, before serving.