These adorable little chocolate covered cherry mice were my go-to Valentine's Day treats every year when my kids were in school. Perfect for any party, the whole class would crowd around these mice and couldn't wait to eat one!
Get the kids to help make these. If they are a little older, they can make them on their own. This treat is super easy!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Mice
What You Need to Make It
Maraschino cherries with stems - the stems make he tail!
Milk chocolate chips - for dipping
Hershey Kisses - for the mice
48 Sliced almonds - for the ears
Frosting or frosting gel for eyes - we used white
How to Make the Mice
Get the cherries out of the jar and onto a paper towel so they can dry. If you've ever melted chocolate, you know any liquid can ruin the consistency. Once they are dry, place on wax paper.
Unwrap the Hershey Kisses.
Melt the chocolate chips. This can be done by using the microwave in 15 second increments at half power, stirring between melts until it's creamy.
You can also use a double-boiler, or place a glass bowl in a pan with a couple of inches of boiling water. Stir frequently.
If you have trouble getting the chocolate smooth enough to dip, a half teaspoon of coconut oil will help and won't change the flavor at all.
Once chocolate is melted, dip cherries into chocolate covering cherry completely.
While cherry is still wet, stick it to the bottom of a Hershey kiss. Place on wax paper or parchment paper until dry.
Using the tube of frosting or a little frosting on a toothpick, place eyes on the mice.
Place in refrigerator until served or pack up in a cooler for travel if the weather is warm.
My daughter loved making these treats when she was younger. She still loves to cook. I miss the days of making treats with her. She's in college now!
We teased the cat with one of the mice. Don't worry, we know chocolate is not for cats! We gave her a proper treat!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Mice
- 24 Maraschino cherries WITH STEMS
- ½ small bag of chocolate for melting I used milk chocolate chips
- 24 Hershey Kisses
- 48 Sliced almonds
- 1 Tube of frosting for eyes I used white, but you can use any light color
- Get your cherries out of the jar and onto a few paper towels. The drier they are, the better. If you've ever melted chocolate, you know that the slightest bit of liquid can ruin the consistency of the chocolate. Place on wax paper.
- Unwrap Hershey Kisses.
- Melt the chocolate chips. This can be done using the microwave at 30% power and in 1-minute intervals, stirring in between, or placing a glass bowl in a couple of inches of boiling water. Stir frequently.
- Once chocolate is melted, dip cherries into chocolate covering cherry completely.
- Once cherries are covered, stick them to the bottom of a Hershey Kiss. Place on wax or parchment paper to dry.
- After about 2-3 minutes, stick the sliced almonds just behind the Hershey Kiss. These are the mice ears.
- Using the tube of frosting, place eyes on the Hershey Kiss.
- Place in refrigerator until served or pack up in a cooler for travel if the weather is warm.
And if you're trying to trim down, you'll love these Weight Watchers desserts just for Valentine's Day.