This appetizer for vegetarians will make you the rock star hostess or guest! As a former vegetarian, I know what it feels like when I'm at a dinner party with all kinds of appetizers that contain meat.
I would almost always let people know ahead of time that I was coming but, most of the time, they had already planned so would toss a few extra veggies and dip on a platter.
These days you'll usually find at least a couple of vegetarian appetizers at ever party, but this appetizer for vegetarians is elegant and shows you really put some thought into making something as special for the vegetarian guest as you did for everyone else. Plus, this appetizer is super easy to make! In fact, you might want to go ahead and make it for everyone because everyone will want a bite!
To make this dish vegan, simply leave out the mozzarella cheese or add a vegan cheese.
What You Need to Make It
To make this delicious appetizer for vegetarians, you'll need portobello mushrooms, asparagus, red or yellow peppers (or both!), zucchini, tomatoes, red onion, basil leaves, mozzarella, olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and arugula for the base.
How to Make It
Heat oven to 400.
In pyrex glass dish, add mushrooms, asparagus, peppers and zucchini.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Roast about 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Slice mozzarella into ¼" rounds.
Place a large handful of baby arugula on plate.
For each appetizer, layer mozzarella, tomatoes, zucchini, another piece of mozzarella, another piece of zucchini, tomato, mushroom, asparagus, basil and top with sliced red onion.
Drizzle balsamic vinegar over salad.
Roasted Vegetable Tower
- 2 portobello mushrooms - cut into strips
- 1 bunch asparagus -
- 2 small red or yellow peppers - cut in ¼'s
- 1 zuccchini - sliced thin
- 2 ripe tomatoes - sliced ¼" thick or thinner
- ⅛ or less red onion - thinly sliced - just a few rings
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 round of fresh mozzarella
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 large bunch baby arugula
- Heat oven to 400.
- In pyrex glass dish add mushrooms, asparagus, peppers and zucchini.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice mozzarella into ¼" rounds.
- On plate place a large handful of baby arugula then top with mozzarella, tomatoes, zucchini, another piece of mozzarella, another piece of zucchini, tomato, mushroom, asparagus, basil and top with sliced red onion.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar.
- With the extra roasted vegetables, place them on one side of the plate stacked together.
This post was contributed by Jacqui McGovern from Your Best Friend's Kitchen.