When I was in Los Angeles, I was invited to visit Walt Disney Studios to screen an upcoming episode of The Neighbors followed by a Q&A with the show’s creator and Executive Producer, Dan Fogelman. We also got to see a bit of the new Marvel IRON MAN & HULK: HEROES UNITED coming out soon on DVD, and meet with Jeph Loeb, EVP, Head of Television at Marvel. We even got to see an upcoming episode of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I am embarrassed to say I had never seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and now I can tell you I’m a fan! It’s awesome!
So what does all this have to do with a recipe for soup? While we were at Walt Disney Studios we got gift bags from Disney and ABC!
Both were filled with awesomeness, but I want to share with you about one item in particular that I am totally in love with! It’s the cookbook from ABC’s The CHEW called What’s for Dinner? First, let me say that I love Clinton Kelly who is one of the hosts of The CHEW. I covered a fashion event for Macy’s where he appeared and was absolutely hilarious and so charming. He also is no-holds-barred when it comes to telling women like it is, especially when it comes to bra fittings! But back to the book
Looking through What’s for dinner?, I knew I was going to love it, but now that I’ve actually prepared something from it, I am hooked!
First of all, let me just share a little about why I love this cookbook. It’s all in the Table of Contents:
- Quick and Easy Meals to Make on Busy Weeknights
- Breakfast + Dinner = “Brinner!”
- Sweet Treats for the Middle of the Week
- Pizza Night
- Friday Night Cocktail Party
- Party Like it’s your Birthday!
- Partying with the Kids
- Saturday Night Specials
- Date Night!
- Sunday Sit-Downs
Don’t you just love the chapter topics? By the way, “Brinner” is not ham and eggs. It’s things like Fried Cornish Hens and Pan d-Oro French Toast. Yep, I’m making that soon! I also love that the recipes have a rating for ease of preparation. That one is moderate. I started with something easy, and perfect for my family. We love soup, and I had almost everything I needed on hand for this recipe. Make it soon! You’ll love it, too!
5 tablespoons prosciutto, diced
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
8 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked kidney beans
2 cups cooked cannellini beans
3 cups broken lasagne noodles
grated parmesan for garnish
In a Dutch oven, heat the prosciutto and 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat until almost smoking.
Add the parsley and onion, and cook, stirring, until the onion is browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the chicken stock and beans, and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Add the pasta and cook according to recipe on box, or about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among 6 bowls.
Garnish with cheese. (Garnishing with fresh parsley would also be good.)
Here’s a printable version for you!
Pasta Fagioli from ABC's The CHEW: What's for Dinner?"
- 5 tablespoons prosciutto diced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 3 cups broken lasagne noodles
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- grated parmesan for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, heat the prosciutto and 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add the parsley and onion, and cook, stirring, until the onion is browned and soft, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and beans, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the pasta, and cook according to recipe on box, or about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among 6 bowls.
- Garnish with cheese. (Garnishing with fresh parsley would also be good.)
Pick up The CHEW What’s for Dinner? at your local bookstore, or pick it up right here on Amazon! It would make a great Christmas gift! Next up on my recipe schedule, Chicken Marsala! Enjoy!
Watch The Chew on ABC at 1:00 on weekdays!