My younger daughter wanted to try her hand at making Halloween cookies. Whip up a batch of sugar cookies and get creative!
For the cookies, she used a basic sugar cookie recipe:
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 Tbs egg substitute
1/2 tsp real vanilla
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Place rounded teaspoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for about 8 minutes. Let cook on a wire rack before frosting.
Now, let’s have some fun!
Use marshmallow fluff in between 2 cookies (about a tablespoon), sticking candy corn to the front for teeth. 2 large marshmallows on top with Reese’s Pieces make spooky eyes!
For her next creation, my daughter filled the cookie with a tablespoon of Nutella (be still my heart!) and used candy corn for horns and a half marshmallow with a yellow M & M for the eye.
Finally, fill the middle of two cookies with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Top with green frosting, 2 pieces of candy corn for horns, and a marshmallow with a red icing dot for an eye.
The most important thing is to have fun! I’d love to see what you create!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla
- Decoration suggestions:
- Marshmallow fluff
- Green frosting or your choice
- Candy Corn
- Red food coloring or cherry juice
- Peanut butter
- Reese's Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating until creamy.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Place rounded teaspoonfuls of dough on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 8 minutes.
- Let cook on a wire rack before frosting.
- This makes 24 cookies. We used 2 cookies for each creation.
- Spread something yummy like peanut butter, marshmallow fluff or Nutella between two cookies.
- Decorate with marshmallows and small candies, a bit of frosting, or a dot of food coloring for eyes.
- Use candy corn to make teeth or horns. Have fun!